By Courtney Hammond
The body contains more calcium than it does any other mineral. Calcium is vital to the health and strength of bones, teeth and muscles. Calcium also plays an essential role in blood clotting, nerve conduction and many cellular functions. Studies show that calcium supplementation can help protect your healthy bones.
How much calcium you ingest is not as important as how much calcium you absorb. Calcium is notoriously difficult to absorb. That’s why it is important to know what things may affect the calcium you absorb and to choose a calcium supplement that optimizes absorption. Factors in calcium absorption:
- Age. Children absorb up to 60 percent of dietary calcium. By young adulthood, absorption rates drop to 20–40 percent. Adult absorption rates can be even lower.
- Calcium salts. Supplemental calcium comes in the form of calcium salts, such as calcium phosphate, calcium lactate, etc. Calcium salts have different absorption rates. For example, calcium lactate is about 32 percent absorbed while calcium citrate is approximately 30 percent absorbed. By combining a number of different calcium salts in a supplement, absorption can be optimized.
- Magnesium. Calcium depends on magnesium for proper assimilation in the body. The ideal ratio of magnesium to calcium is 1:2. A 1:1 ratio may be helpful for those with special magnesium needs, such as mature women.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D enhances calcium absorption.
- pH balance. Optimal pH balance increases calcium absorption.
- Pregnancy/Lactation. These periods of greater nutritional needs are also accompanied with significantly greater absorption of all nutrients.
|Recommended Dietary Intake for Calcium|
|RDI for infants (0–1)||500–550 mg/day|
|RDI for children (1–10)||770 mg/day|
|RDI for young adults||957 mg/day for males, 864 mg/day for females|
|RDI for pregnancy/lactation||1,350 mg/day|
|RDI for adults (25–50)||800 mg/day|
|RDI for older adults (50+)||1,000 mg/day|
Coral Calcium-Coral Calcium [Vital Nutrition] is designed especially for those who desire to keep their acidity levels within a normal range. Because coral calcium is naturally alkaline, it can be of great support to those who need to maintain normal-ranged pH levels. Plus, it provides essential calcium to help maintain bone integrity and health.
Each serving of Coral Calcium provides the body with 325 mg of readily available calcium, plus 163 mg of magnesium. We’ve also included montmorillonite clay, a full-spectrum trace mineral source that helps neutralize stomach acidity and absorb toxins from the digestive tract.
Many people—especially elderly men and women, middle-aged women, persons with a family history of osteoporosis and white and Asian women ages 11 to 35—can benefit from proper calcium intake. Scientific studies show that regular exercise and a healthy diet with adequate dietary minerals, such as those contained in Coral Calcium, can promote bone health. more..
•Provides nutrients that support the structural system and aids in the maintenance of teeth, bones, tendons and skin.
•Supports the maintenance of a balanced pH.
•May offer benefits to the circulatory system.
Calcium–Magnesium, SynerPro®-combination recognizes that each of these minerals depends on the other for proper assimilation in the body. Calcium is essential to the health of bones, teeth and muscles, and it plays an essential role in blood clotting, nerve conduction and many cellular functions more
Liquid Calcium- An adequate supply of basic minerals like calcium and magnesium is so vital to the overall health of our society. Women are especially sensitive to the supply of minerals in their diets—often due to hormonal fluctuation and pregnancy—which may be a consistent reason why these minerals are so important among mature women. More